- Representative Companies
- Occupations & Wages
- Educational Highlights
Advanced manufacturing technologies, including computer-aided engineering, computer-integrated manufacturing, robotics and automated materials handling, are applied across the manufacturing sector to improve efficiency and productivity. Specific target industries within the Advanced Manufacturing cluster include chemicals, packaging equipment and materials, defense and aerospace.
Companies in this cluster with a history of success in Greater Richmond include DuPont and Honeywell (advanced fibers), Alloy Polymers (plastics), Flexicell (robotic packaging equipment) and Spec Ops Inc. (mobile emergency command centers).
Aerospace equipment and parts presents a unique growth opportunity based on Rolls-Royce’s decision to locate an aerospace engine manufacturing facility in the area. This new facility provides an expansion opportunity for current and potential Rolls-Royce suppliers and vendors, as well as for companies in related fields.
Subcategories of this cluster include:
- Fabricated Metal Products
- Advanced Materials
- TemperPack to expand operations in Richmond, creating 23 new jobs
- UK manufacturing company Pryor Technology selects Richmond Region
- Tredegar subsidiary completes acquisition of Futura Industries
- WestRock to Acquire Multi Packaging Solutions for $2.28 billion
- Altria Group buys Nat Sherman premium cigar, cigarette businesses
- Germany-based manufacturer iMPREG Group announces facility in Henrico
- Dominion Packaging expanding operations, creating 60 new jobs
- Greater Richmond welcomes CSi Packaging to Henrico County
- AdvanSix launches as independent company from Honeywell
- Manufacturer Premier Store Fixtures leases building in Eastern Henrico
- Liqui-Box announces agreement to acquire Conotainer
- Niagara Bottling to build $95m facility in Chesterfield County
In 1619, the nation’s first ironworks were established at Falling Creek in Chesterfield County.
The nation’s first coal mining began in the mid-1700s in the Richmond area.
First Military Aircraft
Tethered balloons, the first military “aircraft,” were used for aerial reconnaissance in Civil War campaigns around Richmond.
First Electric Streetcar
In 1888, Julian Frank Sprague put into operation the first commercial streetcar system powered by overhead electric lines from a central station.