- Representative Companies
- Occupations & Wages
- Educational Highlights
The Finance and Insurance cluster comprises establishments engaged in banking, brokerage and investment banking, specialty finance and insurance. Greater Richmond is a proven and successful location for firms in all of these fields and is a regional banking center and home to the Fifth District Federal Reserve.
Industry leaders in this cluster include Capital One (credit cards); Genworth Financial, Anthem and Markel (insurance); Scott & Stringfellow, and Davenport and Company (brokerage and financial advisors) and Ewing Bemis and Matrix Capital Markets Group (investment banking).
Subcategories of this cluster include:
- Banking & Securities
- Richmond-based Union Bank kicks off new image during Super Bowl
- Markel to acquire SureTec Financial Corp. for about $250 million
- Davenport & Company Heads South
- Compare.com now offering comparisons on bundled auto/homeowner insurance
- New mutual funds company joins Richmond market
- Hampton Roads Bankshares and Xenith Bankshares announce completion of merger
- Compare.com relocates, expands HQ to support continued growth
- Capital One to introduce new banking model in Richmond
- CarMax, Capital One make Fortune’s top 100 companies to work for
- Elephant Auto Insurance is recruiting in Richmond
- Markel Ventures and CapTech announce majority investment in CapTech
- With local talent, business brokerage expands to Richmond
First Female Bank President
Maggie L. Walker, daughter of a former slave, organized St. Luke’s Penny Savings Bank in Richmond in 1903.