The Greater Richmond, Virginia USA has long been a favorable location for international companies and commerce. Virginia was settled by the Virginia Companie, a for-profit entity established by the British government. Richmond city was founded in 1737 to serve as a central marketplace and collection point for Virginia exports to England.
International businesses find Greater Richmond particularly attractive. All business support services are readily available including architectural, engineering, legal financial and advertising services.
Advantages for International Companies
- More than 150 internationally owned firms have over 170 facilities in Greater Richmond.
- Washington Dulles International Airport provides direct service to more than 40 foreign cities and nonstop service daily to nearly 90 U.S. cities. Dulles is 50 minutes by air or two hours by car from Greater Richmond.
- All business support services are available with multilingual staff capabilities, including accounting, financial, and legal service providers with international experience.
- International business centers offer short to mid-term leases for offices and suites and access to an experienced network of service providers and organizations.
- Washington, D.C., the nation's capital and the location of embassies, consulates, and international organizations, is only 100 miles (160 kilometers) away.
- All public school systems teach foreign languages and English as a second language.
- The International Baccalaureate program is available in public and private schools, exposing to students the global context of the 21st century.
- The regional Governor's School for Government and International Studies is available for gifted students.
- Special weekend and evening schools offering classes in language and culture have been created by the local Chinese, Japanese, and Korean communities.
- Cultural and business support groups include the Virginia Asian Chamber of Commerce, German American Business Stammtisch, International Club, Virginia International Business Council and World Affairs Council of Greater Richmond.
- Additional information for international companies is included in our International Cost Comparison, which compares startup costs in Greater Richmond and eight other cities. Directory of Foreign Affiliated Firms provides contact and product information for the metro area's foreign affiliated firms.