Business Development Manager
The Greater Richmond Partnership, Inc. (GRP) is the lead regional economic development organization for the City of Richmond and the counties of Chesterfield, Hanover, and Henrico in Virginia.
The Greater Richmond Partnership, Inc. seeks a dynamic and innovative individual to assist in implementing the business attraction and outreach marketing initiatives for the region.
This position reports directly to the Vice President Business Development – Domestic.
- Market the region to generate prospects – Develop relationships with new prospects for job creation and capital investment in Greater Richmond. Participate in outreach activities such as trade shows and marketing missions domestically and internationally. Provide information and data on Greater Richmond applicable to the prospect’s needs. Coordinate travel and meeting arrangements for prospect meetings and interviews with business, industry and government leaders.
- Business development – Engage in appropriate and timely follow-up with key prospects on their business interest in the region. Partner with the research team to respond to prospect requests for information, including customization of standard reports and the gathering of specially requested information. Develop and execute itineraries for prospect visits. Collaborate with allies and partners to coordinate inbound marketing missions, including scheduling meetings, regional overviews, tours, transportation, and special events and receptions. Identify suitable sites and buildings.
- Maintain and analyze data – Update the prospect CRM system. Generate and present prospect activity reports.
- Partner relations – Build a strong working relationship with local, state, and regional stakeholders, investors, and partners for an effective delivery of services. Maintain an impartial stance in presenting the area to prospects by fostering the regional marketing approach. Serve as key point of contact with Virginia Economic Development Partnership and the Port of Virginia. Hold annual briefings with stakeholders.
- Community relations – Represent GRP by serving on committees, boards, or task forces when appropriate.
The Greater Richmond Partnership, Inc. is seeking an ambitious and highly energetic individual to serve as the Business Development Manager. The successful candidate will be a self-starting, hands-on, collaborative, and results-oriented economic development professional.
The successful candidate must be committed to the vision and mission of the organization with a strong sense of excellence. The individual must have a professional presence, excellent business acumen, strong organizational skills and exceptional communication, public speaking and presentation abilities. Personal characteristics will include unwavering integrity, credibility, trustworthiness, and a strong sense of leadership and ethics.
The successful candidate will possess a successful track record in engaging, partnering, and building alliances with a wide range of constituencies that include business and community leaders, elected officials, and the media. The individual must be collaborative and possess a strong sense of political savvy and diplomacy in addressing challenges and identifying opportunities.
The successful candidate will possess the ability to negotiate different viewpoints and take appropriate actions to manage outcomes to satisfy various stakeholder interests. The candidate will have strong mental agility to be able to analyze data and synthesize complex concepts.
The ideal candidate must possess skills to build and maintain coalitions within the region and execute GRP’s strategic plan in conjunction with private investors, public partners and peers.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in related field. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of three years of demonstrated success in business attraction in economic development.
- Certified Economic Developer certification is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Hands-on experience developing new business prospects and managing prospects to a successful completion.
- Experience developing and maintaining sound working relationships with state and local elected officials, and business and community leaders.
- Demonstrated track record of executing business deals and public incentive negotiations which result in successful developments.
- Ability to travel frequently, both domestically and internationally.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Experience with Salesforce and Costar preferred.
- An understanding of labor market dynamics as it relates to expanding and new business is preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
The Greater Richmond Partnership, Inc. offers a highly competitive compensation package for this position. Salary for the position is negotiable, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Additional benefits include:
- Health, Vision and Dental
- Paid Time Off Benefit
- Paid Holidays
- Group Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Plans
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Retirement Savings Plan
How to Apply
The deadline to apply for this outstanding opportunity is February 28, 2019. Interested candidates should email firstname.lastname@example.org the following information:
- Cover letter
- Salary history
- Reference list to include three professional references.
Pre-employment background check is required.
The Greater Richmond Partnership, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Greater Richmond Partnership, Inc.
901 E. Byrd Street, Suite 801
Richmond, VA 23219