In honor of the new year, Greater Richmond Partnership has put together a list of 17 reasons RVA is quickly becoming a hot spot for a young, educated workforce. This past November, CoStar Group Inc., the leading provider of commercial real estate information, announced they’ll open a research center in the City of Richmond, bringing 732 jobs to the region.
- We’re known as the ‘River City’ as a result of being home to the James River. The James River Park is 550 acres of shoreline and islands.
- We’re a hot spot on the east coast for the Food & Beverage industry, home to lots of breweries and vineyards. See a complete list
- The region is home to various higher education institutions.
- We’re a mid-size, capital city, meaning we can enjoy the benefits of a state hub without the traffic and cost of living.
- Buzzfeed included RVA in their 2013 list of the “Best Street Art in the World.”
- We’re home to eight Fortune 500 companies:
- The Altria Group (#149)
- Performance Food Group (#185)
- CarMax, in Goochland (#191)
- Dominion Resources (#243)
- WestRock (formerly MeadWestvaco) (#251)
- Owens & Minor, in Hanover (#291)
- Genworth Financial, in Henrico (#306)
- Markel (#476)
- VCU was ranked in the top 5 among Virginia’s 2017 Most Diverse Colleges.
- The region is home to a variety of museums, including the Edgar Allan Poe Museum, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, and the Black History Museum and Cultural Center Of Virginia.
- There’s something for everyone:
Richmond International Raceway
- We were named in Forbes’ top ten list of Up and Coming Cities for Entrepreneurs.
- The Richmond Region hosts various festivals throughout the year, including the Strawberry Festival, The Bacon Festival, and Dominion RiverRock. For a full list, click here.
- Our overall cost of living is five percent below the national average.
- University of Richmond’s Jepson School is the first of its kind in the world with an undergraduate program in leadership studies.
- Richmond residents are highly educated, compared to the national average.
- Richmond was named among America’s 50 best running cities in 2016.
- We’re an arts-friendly city, home to the Richmond Symphony, First Fridays Art Walk, and the Richmond Ballet.
- Popular films like ‘Hannibal’ and ‘Lincoln’ plus TV shows like ‘Mercy Street’ and ‘Turn’ are filmed here. For a full list, click here.