RICHMOND, Va. — CarMax, Inc., the nation’s largest retailer of used cars, announced the rollout of a new customer-driven buying experience launching first in Atlanta, Ga., with plans to scale nationwide. For the first time, CarMax customers will have a choice as to how they want to buy a car – from home, in-store, or a seamless combination of both.
CarMax’s new omni-channel experience reinforces the company’s industry leadership by empowering customers to buy a car on their terms. Customers can customize their car buying experience, whether they want to buy a car completely from home, in-store, or through a seamlessly integrated combination of online and in-store experiences. The company is also launching a new express pickup option, which allows customers to do most of the process online and complete their purchase in store in as little as 30 minutes.
“We’re delivering on an unmet customer need for a car buying experience that is flexible, convenient, and fully personalized, with the ability for customers to get help when and how they want,” said Bill Nash, CarMax president and CEO. “The Atlanta launch is only the beginning. We plan to continuously improve the new omni-channel offering and scale nationwide. We anticipate having this new buying experience available to the majority of our customers by February 2020.”
CarMax revolutionized used car buying and selling by driving integrity and transparency in the industry, ultimately changing the way consumers buy cars today. This innovation leverages CarMax’s strengths, including the company’s skilled and knowledgeable associates; national footprint; industry-leading brand; inventory scale and merchandising capabilities; and continued investment in technology and digital capabilities.
Customers of CarMax’s new omni-channel offering in Atlanta can:
- Complete the entire car buying process from home, including financing, appraisal and paperwork, without visiting the store.
- Have their vehicle delivered directly to home or work, and test drive before buying. There is no requirement for the customer to purchase prior to having the vehicle delivered.
- Save time by completing most of the process online and take advantage of CarMax’s new in-store express pickup, which can be completed in as little as 30 minutes at any of CarMax’s seven area locations.
- Shop the largest selection of used cars in America, with more than 55,000 vehicles available to view online and request a transfer from virtually anywhere in the country, including more than 6,000 vehicles available to Atlanta customers for free transfer.
- Receive help from informed CarMax consultants, both in-person and via phone, text or email. Buying a car is a complex customer purchase, and CarMax consultants are at the ready to help customers find their ideal vehicle, and navigate financing and other steps.
- Hold a car online for seven days, as well as request a transfer from another location.
- Return the vehicle for up to seven days for a full refund.
CarMax has proudly served Atlanta customers for 23 years and will leverage its Atlanta presence, market share and well-known brand to launch this innovative experience in the 9th largest city in the United States. CarMax is also opening the first CarMax Express location on December 12, located in the perimeter at 5399 Peachtree Industrial Boulevard. CarMax Express serves as an additional convenient express pickup, appraisal and test drive location for customers.